Woodruff Ave and 17th Street
The Woodruff Avenue and 17th Street intersection has operated over capacity during peak hours with motorists experiencing delays of more than 1.5 minutes. Without intersection improvements, forecasted traffic for 2040 show a 30 percent increase in traffic demand resulting in a 2.5 to 4 minute delay. Improvements include an additional left turn lane and a dedicated right turn lane on each intersection approach, as well as updates to waterlines, curb, gutter, landscaping, and traffic signal. Idaho Falls Power will remove power poles and run existing fiber and power underground. When complete, the intersection will look and function much like the intersection at Sunnyside Road and Hitt Road.
The Idaho Falls Public Works Department hosted a community conversation on Nov. 15, 2018 to seek feedback from residents regarding proposed improvements. Residents who were unable to attend that meeting were provided the opportunity to submit input via e-mail, phone or in person.
Weekly Project Meetings
Personnel from the Idaho Falls Public Works and its contractors will meet at the intersection at 10 a.m. every Wednesday to discuss the project, hear concerns, and address potential issues. Property owners impacted by the project are invited to attend those meetings.
Timeline and Public Notification
- Public Notice, April 6, 2023: Significant impacts to traffic
- Public Notice, March 31, 2023: Construction update
- Public Notice, Feb. 27, 2023: Intersection improvement project
- Public Notice, Nov. 2018: Press Release
- City Council Meeting - Professional Services Agreement Contract for Design - Nov. 20, 2018
- Public Meeting, Nov. 15, 2018
- Notification letter sent to property owners: Sept. 2018
- Property owner meeting: Sept. 19, 2018