Winter Outdoor Recreation
Trail Grooming -
**Trails need a good 10-12" hard packed base of snow before grooming can be done.
Parks and Recreation works hard during the winter to keep trails groomed for Cross Country Skis, Fat Bike & Walking Trails.
For the 2023-2024 season, we will be maintaining trails at:
Tautphaus Park - TRAILS NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED due to lack of snow updated 2/16/24
Pinecrest Golf Course - CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE updated 1/23/24
Sage Lakes Golf Course - CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE updated 1/23/24
Sand Creek Golf Course - CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE updated 1/23/24
These can used anytime from sun-up until sun-down during the week or weekend and is free. They will be groomed for the entire winter depending on snow conditions. You can help us better maintain the trails by follow a few simple rules:
Rules for Using Trails:
- Fat Bikes and Walkers stay to the right
- DON'T Cross Country ski in the bike/walking trail
- Cross Country Skis to the LEFT
- DON'T walk/ride in Cross Country Ski trail
- Keep dogs from running on the trail (on the side in the deeper snow is perfect)
- Clean up after your dog(s)! Scoop that poop and take it with you!
- Stay out of the middle of the trail
**Please remember to be respectful of others and use the trails for their intended use. Cross country skiers should use the grooved trails while cross country skaters, fat bikers and walkers should all use the flat groomed path to the side. Please also remember to pick up after your dogs.
Groomed trails are open to:
- Cross Country Skiing
- Fat Biking
- Snow Skating
- Winter Walking
** Trails are generally groomed Mon, Wed, and Fri. depending on snow and weather conditions. *Maps are an estimate.
***The trails need a good 10-12" hard packed base of snow before grooming can be done
Tautphaus Park Trail Map (see below):
Pinecrest GC (see below)
Sand Creek GC (see below)
Sage Lakes GC (see below)
Sledding at the Parks
Thanks to our wonderful and hilly parks, we have several amazing( and FREE!) locations for families to spend an afternoon sledding this Winter. Remember, sledding is always done at your own risk.
- Freeman Park
- There are many hills throughout this park. The most popular sledding hill is located near the top of the hill at the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, and people sled down towards the Bandshell.
- Community Park
- This sledding hill is located directly west of the Gazebo near the parking lot and playground.
- Sandy Downs Dune Area
- This sledding hill can be located by entering the secondary, smaller entrance of Sandy Downs Arena, located just a few hundred yards East of the main Sandy Downs entrance. Enter that smaller entrance, and drive down the entrance driveway for a few hundred yards. The sledding hill is the largest of our sledding hills, and will be located on the left-hand side.
Outdoor Ice Rinks in Idaho Falls are
CLOSED* until further notice.
Ice Skating can be enjoyed by the entire family and can be done inside between October-March or outside during the really cold months of the year.
2024 Outdoor Ice Rink is located in Tautphaus Park on the corner of Rollandet St and Softball Dr. Rink is free of charge. Ice skate rental is located in the Marmo/Wayne Lehto Ice Arena during public skate (check Indoor Ice Arena Schedule HERE for public skate times) or you can bring your own.
*Rink is open weather permitting. Please avoid skating if temperature is above 32 degrees outside to limit damage to the ice. Participants skate at their own risk.
Skate rentals will be available this winter for the outdoor rink that will be put in the field just east of the ice arena. Rentals will be available inside the Joe Marmo/Wayne Lehto Ice Arena as weather permits. Keys or driver's license will be required for a deposit.
Skate Rentals for Tautphaus Park Rink
When conditions are good!!!
Check Ice Arena homepage for the most accurate information..