On June 29, 2020 at 11:20 a.m., the Idaho Falls Fire Department was dispatched to Kearney Street for a report of smoke coming from the back bedroom of a single family home. This was the third structure fire IFFD has responded to in the last two days.
All occupants and a dog were able to safely evacuate the home prior to firefighters arriving on scene. On arrival, firefighters found flames coming from the back bedroom and were able to quickly put the fire out. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.
Firefighters found five puppies inside the home, carried them outside in a laundry basket and safely reunited them with their mom.
While the fire was contained to the back bedroom, there was smoke damage throughout the home.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time. IFFD’s Fire Prevention/Investigation Team is investigating. The estimated damages are also unknown at this time.
How to prepare for home fires:
- Install smoke alarms.
- Teach children what to do when they hear a smoke alarm go off.
- Ensure that you have two ways to escape every room.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan so you know the location of everyone inside and can ensure that they are all out of the home safely.
- Establish a meeting spot outside of the home and practice escaping the home at least twice a year.
- Make sure children know how and when to call 9-1-1.
Click HERE for more fire prevention tips.
Media Contact: Kerry Hammon, Public Information Officer, (208) 612-8122, [email protected].