The snow is going to fall whether we like it or not. A little preparation now will go a long way. Community members are encouraged to sign up for snow removal notifications and review snow removal procedures sooner rather than later, especially those who have recently moved to Idaho Falls.
“If you have new drivers in the household or know of someone who recently moved to Idaho Falls and may not be familiar with our snow removal operations, please share this information with them. We don’t want people to be caught off guard when we issue a snow event with parking restrictions,” states Public Information Officer, Kerry Hammon.
The snow removal parking restriction ordinance for the season starts on Sunday, Nov. 15 and will remain in effect until March 15, whenever a snow event occurs. A snow event is defined as an occurrence in which more than two inches of snow accumulates on the roadway. When a qualifying snow event occurs, parking restrictions will be in effect and plowing of all streets will begin on a priority basis.
Last year the city’s Geographic Information System (GIS) Division created a helpful interactive snow removal map to keep people informed about where the snow plows have been, where they are going next and how snow removal on roadways is prioritized.
When the city issues a snow event, an alert banner will display on the homepage of the city’s website. The city's public information officers will also announce the event using local media outlets and the city’s various communication tools including website, social media, text alerts and electronic message boards.
“We will continue to use every communication tool available to us, but we need residents to meet us in the middle by following local news outlets and/or signing up to receive city notifications," adds Hammon.
- To sign up for snow event text notifications, text ifalerts to 91011.
- To sign up for city news releases, emergency alerts and other notifications, such as snow events, click on the blue Notify Me button on the homepage of the city’s website at www.idahofallsidaho.gov. (The snow removal alerts are sent from the City of Idaho Falls News category under News Flash.)
- Follow the City of Idaho Falls on Facebook and Twitter.
- A link to the snow removal ordinance, policy, maps, zones and additional information is on the homepage of the city’s website or can be found by clicking HERE.
- For questions, call the Street Division at (208) 612-8490.
Media Note: For more information or to schedule an interview with city staff, contact Public Information Officer, Kerry Hammon at (208) 612-8122 or [email protected].