At the Idaho Falls City Council Meeting of November 24, 2020, the City of Idaho Falls City Council passed Resolution No. 2020-29, which determined to have a process for “citation and prosecution” of violations of Governor Brad Little's by December 1, 2020.
The following is the general process for citing an event organizer or venue under Idaho Falls City Council Resolution No. 2020-29:
- The City has a special events coordinator (SEC) who works with event planners and venues in the city to help permit and schedule special events. Event organizers should contact them for guidance on questions or concerns.
- The SEC will continue to work with EIPH, the city and others to help educate and inform venues and organizers of the rules and regulations as stated in orders from Governor Brad Little and Eastern Idaho Public Health.
- If the Idaho Falls Police Department is made aware of events or venues that are meeting in violation of legally established orders, the SEC, EIPH or reporting entity will provide IFPD with as much information as possible about the alleged violation including:
- names and addresses of the event organizers;
- name and address of the hosting venue;
- date and time of the event; and
- any other pertinent information available.
4. IFPD will investigate the complaint. If a clear and significant violation is found to have occurred, IFPD may issue a citation to the event organizer and/or the venue that hosted the event, or they may submit the information to the prosecutor for review, per their normal processes.
Who do people call if they have questions about a specific event?
- Do not call 911.
- Call the City of Idaho Falls Special Events Coordinator at 208-612-8831
What will PD respond to?
- Organized public events in violation of Governor and EIPH orders based on group size.
Will they respond to private residences for mask violations?
- No. Not for family gatherings.
Will they arrest people?
- No. Not for violation of this order.
Will they shut an event down?
Will they cite an event organizer or venue?
- IFPD may issue a citation to the event organizer and/or the venue that hosted the event, or they may submit the information to the prosecutor for review, per their normal processes.
What is the legal authority for the citation?
Currently it is the Idaho Rebounds, Stage 2 “Stay Healthy” Order from Governor Brad Little which makes violations a misdemeanor offense for “failure to comply with a mandatory provision of the Order” under Idaho Code 56-1003(7)(c).