Idaho Falls is once again preparing for the Independence Day holiday, with a few changes in location for some of this year’s festivities.
“We are encouraging the public to become familiar with the new parking restrictions and road closures prior to attending the Riverfest, which begins at noon, and the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration, beginning at 10 p.m.,” states Kerry Hammon, public information officer for the City of Idaho Falls. Both events take place at Snake River Landing.
Please review the Parking & Exiting Map for recommended parking areas based upon your destination following the fireworks. Routes in and around Idaho Falls will be restricted, but certain parking lots will allow for faster exits to certain locations.
The road closures listed below go into effect at the time shown and will reopen when traffic exiting the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration has sufficiently cleared.
- Milligan Road south of 901 Pier View Drive will close at 9 a.m.
- Beginning at 11 a.m. portions of Snake River Parkway will close to all public vehicle traffic. There is no on street parking allowed anywhere on Snake River Parkway.
- Lochsa Drive will close at 11 a.m.
- Beginning at 10 p.m., portions of the following roadways will be closed in preparation of traffic exiting the fireworks:
- Pier View Drive
- Whitewater Drive
- Connection between Snake River Parkway and Pioneer Road
- Pioneer Lane
Restricted traffic flows will occur on roadways beginning at 10 p.m.
- Broadway Street & Memorial Drive – westbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Broadway Street & Yellowstone Hwy – southbound lane closure 10 p.m.
- Utah Avenue & Pioneer Road – southbound lane closure 10 p.m.
- Pancheri Drive east of Skyline Drive – eastbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Pancheri Drive & Utah Avenue – northbound lane closure 10 p.m.
- Pancheri Drive from Milligan Road – right turn only beginning 10 p.m.
- Pancheri Drive & Memorial Drive – westbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Pancheri Drive & Yellowstone Hwy – southbound lane closure 10 p.m.
- Pier View Drive & Snake River Parkway – southbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Sunnyside Road & Yellowstone Hwy – westbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Sunnyside Road & Snake River Parkway – westbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Pioneer Drive & Sunnyside Road – northbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Pioneer Lane & Sunnyside Road - northbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Sunnyside Road near I-15 Interchange – eastbound lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Interstate 15 at Sunnyside Road - off-ramp closures from north and south at 10 p.m.
Due to the activities and the increased number of people in the city, traffic will move slower, particularly when exiting the Melaleuca Freedom Celebration fireworks at Snake River Landing.
Residents and visitors are asked to exercise patience during the holiday. Drivers should slow down, relax, concentrate, watch for pedestrians and bicyclists, and obey all traffic laws, special holiday parking and traffic restrictions.
Also be aware that the Idaho Transportation Department is resurfacing several sections of I-15 which will impact guests coming to Idaho Falls from the south and as they travel home after the fireworks. This includes the area known as the "lava bed"near the Bonneville County Line. Click HERE for more information and to download the I-15 app for up-to-the-minute travel times.
This information, along with other Independence Day information is on the homepage of the city’s website or by clicking HERE.